Celebrating Family Owned Business Month for 5 Generations Now!
We Are The 3%!
October is an awesome month. Not only does it represent the start of fall, sweater weather, leaf piles, and hot apple cider – it’s also Family Owned Business Month! That is really significant to us because Gallagher Uniform has been completely family owned since our start in 1893. Math time – that’s 124 years of successful operation. 124 years! When we stop and think about it, really look back at the rich history of our company, it’s hard to believe. We haven’t simply operated, we have continued to grow, adapting to industry, customer and technology changes over the years.
According to Grand Valley State University’s Family Owned Business Institute, family-owned businesses represent the majority of the world’s wealth. Within the United States, there are 5.5 million family businesses contributing to 57% of the GDP. Shockingly, only about 30% of family-owned businesses survive to the second generation, and only 12% remain viable into the third. The statistics drop further from there, with only 3% of family businesses making it to the fourth generation and beyond.
Get this – Gallagher Uniform has been family owned and operated since our beginning and are now in our 5th generation and, we are still going strong. We are the 3%
The tenants and values of the company that began with our Founder, John C. Gallagher, still ring true today. From generation to generation, we have built a culture of success and forward thinking that has allowed us to expand and grow beyond expectation. But that’s what we do. Gallagher’s foundation is based on taking the industry expectation and saying that’s not good enough. We have always believed in doing more and striving to be the best for both our customers and our associates.
Survival of the Fittest (or Nicest)
Not to get too Darwinian on you, but it’s a dog-eat-dog world in the uniform business. In spite of all the consolidations and acquisitions our industry has seen recently by big national chains, Gallagher Uniform continues to lead the way as an independent, family-owned uniform and laundry service provider serving Michigan and Indiana. Our customers love us – a 99% customer retention rate is proof of that – and the reasons why are no mystery:
We put the customer first – always.
- Our route service representatives do more than deliver. They provide friendly face-to-face interaction with our customers while supplying quality uniforms, complete and on time.
- Our route service supervisors stay in touch with customers to make sure they are happy and have many opportunities for face-to-face communication – and not just when an issue arises.
- We have expanded our facilities and enhanced operations throughout the years to do things like improving our route storage system and further separate soiled rental garments from clean ones to meet food and pharmaceutical uniform standards.
- Our associates are part of our extended family, and we train and empower them to take care of customers, and each other on a daily basis.
We believe in the power of innovation.
- In 1990, we implemented cutting-edge bar-code technology putting us at the forefront of laundry innovation.
- We consistently upgrade equipment to the latest technology to accommodate growing customer needs including an energy efficiency steam tunnel, Radio Frequency Chip Technology for mat and uniform tracking, and an in-house embroidery department.
- In 2003, we launched the most advanced uniform management system available, G-Trak.
- Our Route Service Representatives all have G-Trak in the palms of their hands, allowing them to make changes, repair requests and provide up-to-date customer information anytime, anywhere.
- And of course, most recently we released G-Trak Mobile, making it easier than ever for individual employees and uniform wearers to track and handle uniform requests.
We are committed to quality. And you!
- We recognize some of the top concerns companies have about uniform rental programs. Which is why we implemented our G-Trak Certified system, to ensure complete deliveries.
- Everyone, from the leadership team to the operations staff and route services reps, acts with integrity and pays exceptional attention to detail.
- Our focus isn’t just on quality products, but quality team members as well. Gallagher Uniform is a very flat organization. Our family leadership team is comprised of hands-on, owner-operators who have created an infrastructure of teamwork throughout. Everyone in the company works together and focuses on taking care of our customers and your employees.
You just need to take a look at the Gallagher Uniform timeline to see how far we’ve come from our humble beginnings producing utility rags for local businesses in Detroit. The principles that founded the company over 100 years ago are rooted into every facet of the company’s operation – and will continue to guide us in the years to come. This success is truly based on taking great care of our customers, providing top-notch products and services. You deserve it too. Contact us today to learn more.